Recent Trend

ICE STYLE.....2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships: LADIES!

4

It's Ladies Time:

Top Four: Silver Medalist Gracie Gold, Gold Medalist Ashley Wagner, Bronze Medalists Agnes Zawadzski and Pewter Medalist Courtney Hicks 2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating, CenturyLink Center Omaha, Nebraska

If you read my last post HERE, you know, it's Figure Skating Costume "season" all over again--with the 2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating/U.S. Nationals--happening last week/weekend (as well as the European Figure Skating Championships which occurred in Zagreb Yugoslavia January 23-27th). In my last post, I spoke of the Men's Costumes, so now, it's Ladies Time:

Ashley Wagner--I've discussed Gold Medalist at the US Nationals 2013 Ashley Wagner's Short and Long Program costumes for this 2012-2013 Season extensively on my blog HERE, and yes, I liked them both, especially her Free Skate one. For her Short Program to "Red Violin", I liked the swirl crystal detail and even though it did have a slightly more relaxed look to it...it had a modern, balletic appeal and I loved the back straps which looked like violin strings.


For her Free Skate to "Samson and Delilah", I thought her costume was Figure Skating Costume Couture. Perfection. The cut, the color, the draping and sequins. All of it.

Gracie Gold--Once again, I have written HERE about these costumes above--both her Short and Free Skate. Her costumes for both the Short Program and Free Skate were designed by Brad Griffies. I liked her Short Program costume that she wore skating to "Hernando's Hideaway" by various artists.  The juxtaposition of the solid fabric vs. the small-to-large sequin detail is very nice. For her Free Skate to Life is Beautiful soundtrack by Nicola Piovan, Gracie wore this bright blue and sequin costume designed to look strapless--with nude illusion at the upper chest and neck. It was very pretty. 

Agnes Zawadzki--Oh yes, I have also discussed Miss Agnes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her Short Program Costume that she wears to Sex and the City by A. Sigman. Exotic, colorful, well executed. Figure Skating Fab! Designed by Pat Pearsall, of course.

Christina Gao--The lovely Christina ended up 5th in the overall 2013 US Nationals standings. She wore this beautiful deep violet-blue costume for her Short Program to "Close Without Touching" by Kostia. I thought it was delicately elegant. I liked the sequined flower and asymmetrical chiffon "skirt".

For her Free Skate to "Libertango" by Astor Piazzolla, she wore a black sequined number that looked expensive and evoked visions of Haute Buenos Aires. Let me translate that: I LIKEY! And it is also a new costume! It is different from what she had been wearing for the Grand Prix Series (pictured below)...
Again...I like the new costume MUCH better. It is more modern and elegant. Not as expected and traditional as the costume above.

Mirai Nagasu--Love me some Mirai. She ended up 7th at the 2013 U.S. Nationals last weekend. I've commented on this pink Short Program costume HERE.  She skated to "Downhill Special" by Benny Goodman and between the fringe, the bright pink, the crystals,the FAB back...I just didn't know which I liked more!

Angela Wang--Angela skated her Short Program to Music from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack by Tan Duname. She ended up in 9th place overall but I thought this"one-shoulder" number was GREAT! We all know that RED symbolizes good fortune and joy in Chinese culture. So the different variations on the color was a good choice--especially for the music. The design was nice as well.

Hannah Miller--Hannah ended up 10th in the overall standings. For her Short Program to "Tanguera" by Sexteto Mayor (a Tango), she wore this very boldly designed costume. I liked the mixture of black with the pink and red but it still has elements of TLC's "Toddlers & Tiaras". I think she should have said "adios" to the choker detail and maybe looked into editing the wrist accents.

Caroline Zhang--Caroline finished 11th overall at the end of the 2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating. She wore this costume above to her "The Rushing Wings of Dawn" by Tim Janis Short Program. I really liked this--the nude (good skin color match!) illusion top section with the deep purple color of the rest of the costume was well executed. The sequins also looked expensive. This is a big point of contention with me. Kids: don't skimp on the crystals. SWAROVSKI. Always.

Ashley Cain--Finally, I wanted to briefly discuss Ashley Cain. She came in 12th overall. For her Short program skate to "Montserrat" by Orquesta del Plata (Tango music), she wore this red stretch lace costume.I thought it was a bit expected to wear red. But I give her points for NOT having any black color in this. Or a Red Rose in her hair. She was very late 80's in this ensemble. All she was missing were those Maripol "Madonna" black rubber bracelets, a tulle skirt from a second-hand store and she should have skating to "Borderline"--or "La Isla Bonita"!

** Next Up: The PAIRS and ICE DANCE Costume Recaps of the 2013 U.S. Championships of Figure Skating

4 Responses to "ICE STYLE.....2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships: LADIES!"

MonCheri777 said...

You have very good taste. My fav was the red lace dress. I love it!

Unknown said...

What a great post! I agree with the lot. My favourite is Christina Gao's: everything a skating dress should be: understated, sparkly, and beautifully cut. Perfection!

someone from europe said...

Hahahaha, Zagreb is a capital city of Croatia, Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore!! (Since 1992).

Unknown said...

Can you please include the designer: Jan Longmire in your post about Ashley? I am responsible for all Wagner's dresses over the past two seasons. You can find my work at: janlongmire.com