Recent Trend

PROJECT RUNWAY.....Project Runway Finale NY Fashion Week

8
Project Runway Season 3 Finale I just returned from my week in New York City, where I attended the Bryant Park Show of the "Project Runway Season 3" Finalists. When I arrived , the weather in NY was wonderful: sunny and a bit balmy. I went shopping for an outfit --not that I did not bring a Louis Vuitton (faux) suitcase full of choices but, of course, being the clothes "ho" that I am, I needed just another choice! I made my religious pilgrimage to Zara and H&M and purchased a great jacket and a Winter scarf. Friday, the day of the show, arrived, and the weather changed considerably to rainy and dark. I don't know if this was an ominous sign in terms of the fashions that I would see once inside the tents, but I hoped not. These were the Spring Collections, after all, so I expected bright colors, sunny dispositions on the super skinny models (this isn't Madrid after all!) and lots of skin-baring dresses! Once I arrived in the Tents, I spotted my Season 2 buddies, winner Chloe Dao as well as Raymundo Baltazar. We immediately did our "Hey Girls!!" and made our way to the show. At the entrance, we also saw the Blogging Project Runway team: Laura K, T-Bone and Scarlett. Well, this was almost like a Homecoming of sorts. I was already feeling a bit nostalgic and sad about "letting go of our season" to make room for the "new kids on the block", but seeing the Blogging Project Runway crew and their genuine smiles on their faces made me feel I was home. I cannot say this enough: they are AMAZING!! Bravo needs to pay for their children's college funds because of what they have done to the world of "Project Runway". I also met Vincent for the first time and chatted with him for a while. He was really nice and excited to see the Finalists' creaions. I made sure that I wasn't seated near him during the show, just in case he ever got "turned on" by any of the dresses that went down the runway! Now, onto the Tent where the Finale was occurring. First, there was the "hiarchy" of the seating: We (Season 2) were all seated in the third row, while this season, understandably were seated in front of us, in Row 2. Only Daniel Vosovic and Chloe were in the Front Row, next to the VIP's, judges Michael Kors, Nina Garcia, Heidi Klum and guest judge, Fern Mallis, Director of Seventh on Sixth. This seating commentary is note a dig, believe me. I was happy to have a seat in all the madness and actually more suprised for the Season 2 designers for having to sit in Row 2! Most of Season 2 and Season 3 designers were in attendance, with the notable absences of fellow Angelenos, Santino and Andre. They were both missed. What did I think of the show, you may ask? To begin with, there was no "clear winner" per se, as in Season One's Jay McCarroll. I will say that , for me, Uli's collection was a standout. I loved it. Her gowns literally floated on the runway. Light as air, sexy as a Grecian Goddess. I almost jumped out of my chair when one strapless beaded and chiffon gown glided through the show. I gasped and the audience broke into spontaneous applause. In fact , most of her pieces were applauded. If there is one criticism, I could see the judges saying it was a little "Roberto Cavalli-esque" and we have seen it before. Jeffrey's collection was original. I could not reference it to another designer, which is a good thing. I must admit, Jeffrey's aesthetic is not my aesthetic. However, I believe Jeffrey did a great job. It did not grab me immediately, but after seeing photos later , I liked it a bit more. If I was one of the judges, I would have to say, that of all three designers, his had the most forward, contemporary vision. You know how those judges love that word: Vision. My favorite was a striped jacket outfit. On the other hand, he did a couple of baby doll-style dresses that were a bit of a mess. His strength (to my amateur judging eyes) was in the tailored pieces. Laura's collection was elegant. It was as if Oscar De la Renta merged with Michael Kors. They were impeccably made, with luxurous looking fabrics. Most of the pieces had intricate beading into supple fabrications. My favorite piece was a short dress that at first , looked like it had feathers at the hem. With closer inspection, you realized the feathers were actually paillete sequins! Unbelievable. There was one outfit though which made some people in the audience go "Huh?: A strapless see-through lace outfit with the bra pads showing. Favorite to win , Michael was a disappointment to many in the audience. I really liked him on the show and wanted him to "Bring It"! I overheard several people saying it looked very"Baby Phat" and Donatella Versace-esque. I thought it was sexy and very him. But I could understand those aforementioned references. After the show, I went backstage to say "Hello" to some old friends (make up artists, hair Diva, Nathaniel) as well as models Danielle (Andre's model), who modeled for Michael, and Marilinda, Jeffrey's gorgeous and power-runway princess. I also ran into Heidi Klum, who posed for a photo with me, looking perfectly gorgeous, as always. We then sauntered over to a Special "Project Runway Finale Brunch" at the Bryant Park Grill just a few steps from where the show was held. This was the perfect way to end the morning: A buffet brunch and LOTS of Mimosas. Needless to say, Uncle Nick was a very "happy camper". Next stop: a power nap and Jay McCarroll's much-anticipated show. Memo to Nick: I need an OUTFIT CHANGE!!!!!!!

8 Responses to "PROJECT RUNWAY.....Project Runway Finale NY Fashion Week"

turtleriot said...

there was no new episode yesterday, the holy Wednesday, and instead Bravo ran Season 2. i just happened to turn on the episode where you got robbed. i teared up all over again. but its obvious how much we all love you nick! when are you showing in Bryant Park?

LauraK said...

Hi Nick! Thanks so much for the shout-out to BPR. We all loved meeting you and David. What a great weekend!

Tbone said...

Nick - what a thrill to finally meet you! Team BPR will love you forever.

Our next push: Project Runway: All-Star Edition. You are definitely IN!

Anonymous said...

Tbone - "Project Runway: All Star Edition"? What a fantastic idea... I LOVE it!!!

Nick, Jay, and Austin in the final 3, woohoo!! Besides, I'd love to see how all the season 2 and 3 contestants interact with the *ahem* lovely Wendy Pepper...

*chanting* Do it, do it, do it...

Glenn

Anonymous said...

You are such a lovely media whore!

BDM is in full support. O.K., gurl?

Anonymous said...

You are such a media whore!

BDM is in full support of your escalades...
o.K.?

Anonymous said...

One more time...

I approve.

'Drunk in SD'

The Scarlett said...

Nick, we all love you so much at BPR. And you still have the best sound bites of any PR season! I was so glad to see you and David again! Hugs to you both.