Recent Trend

WHO WORE WHAT?.....Cannes Film Festival: Days 7-9 Top 10 Best Dressed!

2
 Lace Queen: Actress Charlize Theron in custom Christian Dior Haute Couture at the 70th Anniversary of Cannes Event at 2017 Cannes Film Festival

Cannes isn't over yet...And Thank Goodness for that! I have discussed my Top Ten Favorites of the 2017 Cannes Film Festival Red Carpet Day 1-3 HERE and Days 4-6 HERE  and there's been LOTS of fabulous Couture to satisfy fashionistas, fashion watchers, bloggers and flood the Instagram world. 

Printed and Sequined: (L to R) Fan Bingbing, Elle Fanning and Praya Lundberg--2017 Cannes Film Festival

I have already said this but it bears repeating, it's been a very Haute Cannes Red Carpet year, definitely solidifying the film festival as one of the most-watched-for "Fashion Shows" on Earth (sorry Oscars but you're standing is probably losing your red carpet fashion grip!). So, now, continuing with my "Who Wore What?" Cannes 2017 Blog, it's now time for my Top Ten Best Dresses of Days 7-9. Let's see who made the Cannes Cut: 

Fan Bingbing in Christopher Bu at the "Amant Double" (L'Amant Double) Film Premiere: One of my favorite Fashion Divas of Cannes is actress--and 2017 Cannes Jury Member--Fan Bingbing and she has been ON-POINT throughout her time at the Film Festival. This time, she wore this printed silk gown from her longtime stylist, Chinese designer Christopher Bu. I loved this design because of its bold sequined applique "print" (yes kids, it's all paillettes, crystals and sequins!), sculpted silhouette (very old school Roma Alta Moda). The gown featured an attached "Watteau"-back like cape, turtleneck collar and...

Her diamonds were FABULOUS! That ring and bracelet were BEYOND darlings!

Praya Lundberg in Rami Kadi Couture at the "Amant Double" (L'Amant Double) Film Premiere: Half Swedish, half-Thai actress/model Praya Lundberg (nicknamed "Poo"), was one of my Top 10 Best Dressed from Days 7-9 of Cannes 2017. She wore a beautiful ballgown from Beirut, Lebanon based Lebanese-American designer Rami Kadi and his Rami Kadi Couture collection. The halter neck gown was perfect for Cannes, featuring a navy blue silk base with distinctive hand-sewn encrusted silver paillettes and feathers toward the bottom of the dress. Beautiful, entrance-making and on-point with the Cannes 2017 "Prom Fab" style trend.

Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: Armani muse Jessica Chastain wore a GORGEOUS Armani Prive (naturally) custom gown and it was one of my Top 10 faves from Days 7-9. The golden silk satin gown was "inspired" by his latest Haute Couture collection shown in Paris in January...

Armani Prive Spring/Summer 2017

The collection featured lots of that Chinese lacquer-gold coloring as seen in this gown from the collection as seen in one of the photos above. I thought the color was impacting and right for red-haired Chastain. I also thought the fit and shape of her gown was perfect. I loved the simplicity and figure-flattering style. I would have done without the mini-pouf above the train/godet but that would be my only not-so-positive critique.

Fan Bingbing in Valentino Spring/Summer 2017 Haute Couture at "The Beguiled" Film Premiere: Oh Fan Bingbing...how much do I ADORE you!! Bingbing has been the Cannes Film Festival Fashion "It" girl for years and this time as one of the Jurors, it's really her time to (Fashion) shine! I liked this red sheath of a gown she wore for "The Beguiled" Film Premiere. The gown is from the Valentino Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2017 collection...

The style- iconic "Valentino Red" seems simple enough but if you know fashion and fashion design, the simplest looks are usually the most difficult to pull off, technically. This red crepe gown is all handmade and features an "over-cape" hiding a sheath gown underneath. Bingbing looked UBER beautiful in this.

Svetlana Khodchenkova custom Alberta Ferretti Limited Spring 2017 at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: Russian actress Svetlana Khodchenkova wore one of my other Top 10 Favorite gowns from Cannes 2017 Days 7-9: This gold lame plisse dress from Alberta Ferretti Limited collection; this is from Ferretti's Haute Couture arm of the business. The strapless gown featured dramatic volants cascading down the back of the gown. I thought Svetlana looked very 1930's/40's Old Hollywood Glamour-like.  The dress was "inspired" by a black silk velvet version shown on the runway:

Alberta Ferretti Limited Spring/Summer 2017

Jasmine Tookes in Georges Chakra Spring/Summer 2017 Haute Couture at "The Beguiled" Film Premiere: U.S. model--and Victoria's Secret Angel--Jasmine Tookes looked gorgeous in this gown from Lebanese designer Georges Chakra and his Georges Chakra Spring/Summer 2017 Haute Couture collection. The lilac-hued crepe gown featured a one shoulder column design with over-the-shoulder draped details and dramatic back overskirt. Simple, elegant, gorgeous.

Izabel Goulart in Zuhair Murad Spring/Summer 2017 Haute Couture at the "Amant Double" (L'Amant Double) Film Premiere: Another model in my Top Ten Best Dressed of Cannes 2017 Days 7-9 is Brazilian supermodel Izabel Goulart. She wore this gold and nude gown from Zuhair Murad Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2017 collection. The fitted dress featured hand-sewn gold sequined applique in a starburst design sewn onto see-through crinoline/organza. It also had a side cascade drape to add a little bit of drama. If you notice, the original runway look had pointed sleeves at the shoulders. This element was wisely removed (or un-pointed!). Izabel is a model so she may already be starting with an advantage (in terms of looking fabulous in Couture) but she did look EXTRA fabulous at Cannes 2017.

Juan Xiopong at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: Juan Xiopong was one of my Top 10 faves because she just looked Red Carpet perfect. I have tried to Goggle her and for the life of me (trust me, I have spent HOURS!), I cannot find who she is, where she is from, why she is at Cannes, and most importantly, who did her dress. But...I still think she looked very pretty! I loved this hi-lo gown with pink/fuchsia, silver and light green sequins. The sequin work was exquisite and the finishing of the gown (the hand sewn invisible zipper on the underseam part of her sleeve) was superb! Beautiful gown, beautiful woman and gorgeous RING to top everything off! Let's hope one of my BLOG READERS educates me on who she is--and who did her gown!

Mystery Solved! A trusty reader (Kat from Portugal!!) let us know that Juan Xiopong's gown is Zuhair Murad Spring 2016 Couture. I LOVE my readers! Thank you!

Charlize Theron in custom Christian Dior Couture at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: Next on my list is the gorgeous Charlize Theron. Charlize attended the 70th Anniversary Celebration at 2017 Cannes Film Festival in this black lace custom Christian Dior Haute Couture gown.

First off, we are starting with CHARLIZE THERON so as a designer, well, it's like "Done & Done!". This gown was very lingerie-like and ultra feminine with its soft, un-structured shape and fabrication. I thought the delicate hand pleated/gathered draping of the silk tulle'd torso was perfection (of course it is; it's HAUTE COUTURE!) and the fit was very flattering. The jewels were...OTHERWORLDLY! I wondered where the Jewel Bodyguards were because that ring--and those bracelets--LORD HAVE MERCY!

Elle Fanning in Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring 2017 at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: Elle Fanning also wore Christian Dior Haute Couture and this was one of my Top Ten looks. I loved this dress when I saw it on the runway and I thought it was a great choice for Fanning...

The gown featured a "festival" of sequined flower petals (all hand sewn!), over a tulle under-crinoline and fitted/boned Dior Corselette. This reminded me of those old-school 1950's Dior gowns and was perfect for the young and sweet Elle Fanning. If she was to wear a $100,000 costing one-of-kind hand made Couture gown, this would be it!

Finally...
Tilda Swinton in Chanel Fall 2017 RTW at the 70th Anniversary Celebration- Cannes Film Festival: I don't think I am alone when I exclaim my LOVE for actress Tilda Swinton--both for her acting talent and her fabulous fashion sense. At Cannes 2017, she wore this black sequined jumpsuit from the French house of Chanel which I ended up putting as my last "Best Dressed" in my Top Ten of Cannes 2017 Days 7-9. The look is chic, modern, directional and Oh-So-Tilda! I just wish she would have worn the boots (as seen on the runway). Besides this, she looked like a Couture NASA Pilot of a Mars Space Mission...in 2055!

2 Responses to "WHO WORE WHAT?.....Cannes Film Festival: Days 7-9 Top 10 Best Dressed!"

Kat... said...

Hello!
Juan Xiopong gown is from Zuhair Murad Spring 2016 Couture (http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2016-couture/zuhair-murad/slideshow/collection#44), and you can find more info here http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2017/05/24/cannes-film-festival-day-7-red-carpet-roundup/.
Love your blog!
Kisses from Portugal!

Nick Verreos said...

Thank you!!!!! That was so simple! I should have known that!! Mystery solved thanks to you! ❤️❤️❤️