Recent Trend

ICE STYLE.....2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating: ICE DANCE

3

Ice Dance Costume Highlights:

Top Four: (left to right) Silver Medalists Madison Chock and Evan Bates; Gold Medalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White; Bronze Medalists Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani; and Pewter Medalists Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue--2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships at the CenturyLink Center Omaha, Nebraska.

Continuing with my Costume Recap of the costumes from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating, which occurred last week/weekend in Omaha Nebraska, I've discussed the Men's HERE, and Ladies HERE, and  now it's time for the Ice Dancers:

Chock and Bates--2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating

 Dr. Zhivago


Madison Chock and Evan Bates--Chock and Bates got the Silver overall last weekend. I've talked about their costumes--which were designed by Madison by the way--for this season HERE. While I love the Short Dance Cirque du Soleil outfits they wear, these here for their Free Dance to Selections from Doctor Zhivago composed by Maurice Jarre, leave me a little underwhelmed. Here's a snippet of what I've said about these: these costumes need a little more "pizzazz". His especially--it looks like a weird hybrid of a Roman toga/Russian soldier. It is also disappointing since their are so many creative ways to express the winter white and fur Dr. Zhivago theme in her costume.

Mai Shibutani and Alex Shibutani--Brother and sister Ice Dance Team, The Shibutani's received the Bronze overall at the 2013 U.S. Nationals--I've also discussed their costumes HERE on my blog. I loved both what they wore for their Short Dance to "Ojos Azul," "Dolencias," and "Sikureada" by Incantations above, especially, her forehead crown headdress.


Alex wore a headdress/forehead tie of his own last year while performing this Short Dance at the Rostelecom Cup/Cup of Russia 2012 (photo above). I'm happy he decided do do without it in 2013. God costume move Alex.

I also think that their costumes for their Free Dance to Music from the Memoirs of a Geisha soundtrack by John Williams were some of the most OUTSTANDING of this Skating Championship Season 2012-2013.

Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue--Pewter Medal-winning Ice Dance team Hubbell and Donohue skated their Short Dance to Music from the Titanic soundtrack by James Horner. Their costumes reflected the film and it's star-crossed lovers played by Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. I just wish her dress was a teeny-bit more luxe. It looks more like something a bar girl would be wearing in a "Spaghetti Western" as opposed to early 20th Century upper class couture. The inclusion of the "Heart of the Ocean" diamond necklace, however, was a great touch!


Taylor Tran and Sam Kaplun--Tran and Kaplun skated their Short Dance to "Boskovsky Medley" by Willi Boskovsky --a classical waltz/polka. These were nice. I liked Taylor's fluttery dress and semi-corseted torso detail. I'd like to see an elegant cravate on Sam, though--just a little touch of dapper-ness.

Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt--I like these Short Dance costumes worn by Ice Dancers Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt (say that three times!). They skated to "Ring of Fire" and "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Chris Isaak and went very "Walk The Line" Johnny and June Carter Cash here. Her dress was very similar to Reese Witherspoon's June Carter (above photo) and I liked Logan's sexy Johnny Cash--especially the BIG belt buckle.

Davis and Charlie White--Davis and White won the Gold, naturally, skating beautifully, with passion and exuberance. I have recapped  both their Short Dance and Free Dance Costumes HERE throughout the season last year. For their Short Dance to Music from Giselle by Adolphe Ada, they wore these costumes above which I liked.

Meryl is very St. Pauli girl (the sweet version) and he looks like a Disney character (in his going wood-chopping ensemble). And I mean both comments in a wonderful way!

I also liked their Free Dance costumes worn to Music from Notre-Dame de Paris by Riccardo Cocciante and Luc Plamondon. I just wish he would go a bit more "period"...


Congratulations to Ice Dance Gold Medalists Davis and White!!! You're in a league of your own!

**Up Next: The PAIRS Costume Recap of 2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating 

3 Responses to "ICE STYLE.....2013 Prudential U.S. Championships of Figure Skating: ICE DANCE "

Anonymous said...

I love the Shibs' FD costumes; Maia's dress is beautiful. Davis/White's costumes are as usual too conventional for me, what I wouldn't give for them to wear mummy costumes and hippie stuff like Pechalat/Bourzat, or for Meryl to try a cute outfit like Anna Cappellini's SD one.

Speaking of which, are you going to recap the Europeans, too? There were some new costumes (e.g. Kostner, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Joubert) so I think it's necessary.

lol said...

really? i find d/w's costume too period-y especially since its period colour red.

Elizabeth Roberts said...

I like Madison Hubbell's Titanic SD dress but I wish it didn't have too much of the nude mesh/illusion fabric on the neckline.